Okoa Mombasa is hosting an in-person town hall meeting on November 29, 2023, focusing on the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) project and how it has impacted – and continues to impact – Mombasa County.
The meeting will be held at Ronald Ngala Primary Social Hall and is open to the public. Doors will open at 9:30 am.
Discussions will focus on the impact of the SGR deal as well as recent developments that have affected the SGR’s operationalization in the country. The Town Hall meeting will also look at how the SGR has added to Kenya’s massive national debt – and why this situation is likely to impact the livelihoods of Kenyans in general and Mombasa people in particular.
Panelists will include:
- Justice Dr. Willy Mutunga, former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Kenya and chair of Muslims for Human Rights (MUHURI)
- Abdulswamad Sheriff Nassir, governor of Mombasa County
- Jimmy Wanjigi, businessman and political strategist
- Okiya Omtatah, Senator for Busia County
- Khelef Khalifa, former Chair of MUHURI
- Willis Otieno, Partner, Otieno Ogola & Company Advocates
- Bernard Muchere, former internal auditor at the National Treasury